Tuesday, November 28th
- “How Technology Disrupted the Truth”
- “Reveal Podcast: A Slice of Pizzagate.”
- “How Teens in the Balkans are Duping Trump Supporters with Fake News”
- Questions for notes:
- After reading these articles and listening to the podcast do you think the internet on the whole leads to more mis-information? That is, is it a historically bad medium for informing citizens?
- What should these platforms do about this problem of mis-information? Given that they want to promote free speech and open journalism, can anything be done?
Thursday, November 30th
- Read: Ethan Zuckerman, “Stop Saying Fake News”
- Read: Knight Foundation Report on How Youth Consume News
- One: Zukcerman doesn’t like the term “Fake News”. First summarize his argument about this and than help illustrate it thru two examples he doesn’t use, at least one should be one closely connected to you (i.e. one where you heard someone you know using the term Fake News).
- Two: How accurate is the Youth Report by the Knight Foundation for you? That is in their findings what are the biggest overlaps with your experience? biggest difference from your experience?