Skip to content
TUESDAY, October 31st
- Watch: Citizen Four
- Define: Whistleblower, xKeyScore, Mantle of Power, Encryption
- Answer: After watching this documentary how to do you feel about this government surveillance? What did you learn from this documentary about Snowden and this case that you didn’t previously know? Was there anything in particular that contradicted the media accounts you heard from before? What (if any) should be the limits on government surveillance?
THURSDAY, November 2nd
- No reading or notes for today. We are going to work on privacy tools in class. Bring your laptop to class.
Tuesday, October 24th
- “The Internet with a Human Face” Maciej Cegłowski
- “The Internet’s Original Sin” Ethan Zuckerman
- Define: Car Culture, Center of the Web, The Cloud, Pop-Up Add
Answer: Both of these authors paint a pretty dark future, one that suggests the web is a pretty dangerous place, or at least as constructed ought to make us worried. Primarily these two do not like targeted ads. Why is this? And, do you agree with them, why? why not?
Thursday, October 26th
- Terms and Conditions May Apply
- Instagram Terms and Conditions(in plain English)
- Define: Cookies, Big Data, Data Mining, Predictive Algorthims
Answer: This documentary suggests there are lots more pieces than just ad tracking (Tuesday’s reading) that ought to concern you? What three things from these five episodes concerned/worried/creeped you ought the most? Was there anything you didn’t know about what most surprised you? Was there anything that you thought was no big deal?
Tuesday, October 17th
- Carr Benkler Wager
- Nicholas, Carr Pay Up, Yochai Benkler
- Yochai Benkler Carr-Benkler Wager Revisted
- Keywords: Carr Benkler Wager, Peer Production, Price Incentivized, Professional Production
- Questions: Which side of this argument do you find more persuasive? If you had to declare a winner today which would it be? Do you think ten years from now this will be the same?
Thursday, October 19th
- Rip a Remix Manifesto
- Keywords: Copyright, Remix Manifesto, Piracy, Clinton Era Trade Agreements
- Questions: 1. Should what Girl Talk does be illegal? that is irrespective of the current law would you want to make it legal or illegal? 2. How long should a copyright be for? explain your reasoning.
- Reminder: Your Norm Breaching Experience is due at the beginning of class. You should print out your write up and bring it to class.
Tuesday, October 10th
Thursday, October 12th
- Before class on Thursday you should add to your notes for class two things.
- 1. Note which of the social media norm breaking assignments you decided on.
- 2. Rough notes from your experiment. Keep in mind you need to collect data during the process. For this no need to make them look pretty or anything, just add the raw notes/data to your google notes.
- If you were not in class on Tuesday and didn’t get the assignment you can get it here.