Skip to content
Thursday, September 28th
- We Live in Public
- Keywords: “Quiet, We Live in Public,” Pseudo, “We Live in Public,” Apple Orchard.
- Answer the following questions: 1. What most shocked or surprised you in the film, why? 2. What do you make of Josh?
Tuesday, September 19th
- “The Internet Must Go”
- No Key Words.
- In two paragraphs (or so) explain what you take “Net Neutrality” to mean.
- Finally make a list of people/institutions/interest groups/companies etc that would be for and against Net Neutrality
Thursday, September 21st
- Black Mirror. “Nosedive” (Season 3 Episode 1) (Easiest way to watch this is on Netflix)
- Zeynep Tufekci, “Social Media’s Small, Positive Role In Human Relationships”
- Notes: No Key Words
- In the Black Mirror episode we are provided with a distopian future. What parts of this imagined world relate to our own? Which parts do you find unrealistic?
- Tufekci supplies an important corrective to the idea that socializing online is “fake”, in your experience as a high schooler/college student is her position accurate?
Tuesday, September 12th
- Define: Packet Switch, Circuit Switch, Arpanet, IP address.
- Standage makes the claim (from last weeks reading) that the telegraph was the “Victorian Internet” these works above make a case that the internet is a fairly radical idea, different from the telegraph. According to the above readings what makes the internet different from the telegraph.
- Remember that you should also post to your notes two examples of Techno-determinism, and two of cultural determinism.
Thursday, September 14th